Thursday, October 1, 2009

There is Nothin' Like a Dame

Today marks the 74th birthday of acting legend, Dame Julie Andrews. Since her childhood in Walton-on-Thames, England, Ms. Andrews has been entertaining millions with her singing, acting, and dancing. She starred in such Broadway hits as “My Fair Lady,” “Camelot” and “Victor/Victoria.” Ms. Andrews began her film career as the iconic nanny in Mary Poppins (1964) (winning an Academy Award for Best Actress), following with a string of other hits, including The Sound of Music (1965), Thoroughly Modern Millie (1967), and 10 (1979), along with her Emmy-winning TV show, “The Julie Andrews Hour” (1972). In recent years, she’s been reintroduced to a new generation of audiences as royalty in The Princess Diaries and Shrek movies. In addition to her many screen credits, Ms. Andrews has been an author of children’s books since 1971, with such popular titles as “Mandy,” “The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles,” “The Great American Mousical” and “Simeon’s Gift.”

Here’s a look at the delightful Dame over the years:

Happy Birthday, Julie!

4 comments:

  1. Wonderful tribute and photo-retrospective! I hope you don't mind... I've linked to your post in my birthday greeting to Dame Julie. It's going to be a wonderful day today, despite the rain that's soaking my little corner of the world!

    Have a wonderful October 1st!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, gorgeous Julie Andrews, she just continues to age with grace! This reminds me - I still have to watch The Americanization of Emily.

    Anyhow, thanks for adding me to your blogroll; unfortunately, the site URL has changed. You can update it to thewhiternoise.wordpress.com! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this!! I used to watch "Sound of Music" when I was little and it made me want to become a nun...until I realized nuns don't really sing on mountaintops and get married to millionaires. Details, details...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Meghan - Christopher Plummer made for a very hot sea captain! He'd be enough to turn any woman away from the convent! LOL!

    whiternoise - The Americanization of Emily is one of my faves! A fantastic non-singing role for Julie.

    Thanks for your comments!

    ReplyDelete